I have to admit I was somewhat reluctant to embrace the cape trend. I am not exactly blessed in the height department and clothes that are not fitted tend to swamp my frame so I end up looking like I’m wearing a tent. There are so many different styles that there really is a cape to suit everyone. Unsure which is the cape for you? Then follow my tips on what to consider when wearing a cape and how to style your look.
1. If you choose to go for a cropped cape (which ends above the hip) then make sure you pair with a short skirt as a opposed to an ankle skimming number or you run the risk of looking like a ye olde worlde midwife.
2. Long floor skimming capes look great with skinny trousers and stop you looking like Count Dracula.
3. One colour head to toe will always look sophisticated.
4. If like me you worry about losing your waist completely then throw on a belt.
5. Make your cape that bit cosier with a faux fur collar.
6. Shoulder bags are a no no purely because they will never stay on so tuck it under your arm or grasp your bag by the straps.
7. For a cape that has a lot of fabric with multiple folds in the material consider wearing a pencil skirt to balance your look out.
8. For a more daring look try a plain black outfit with a heavily patterned cape.
9. My favourite look is a tailored cape with a mini skirt, over knee boots, and a fedora.
10. You can even get away with a cape for evening wear after all who can forget Lupita Nyong’o in her all red number.